When creating music videos, it is necessary to create footage where the expressed emotion complements the song.
Today I am going to show you how to create an effect that can be used in a rock/rap music video to give the scene a more intense feeling.
How to Create a Rock/Rap Music Video Filter in Adobe Premiere Pro CC (2019):
Set Up The Effect:
- Firstly, select the Project Panel of the project.
- After this, go to File -> New -> Adjustment Layer.
- Drag the new adjustment layer on top of the footage you wish to add the rock/rap filter to.
- Also open the Effects and search for Unsharp Mask. Drag that onto the adjustment layer.
- Now search for Color Balance (HLS) in the Effects. It is under the Color Correction folder. Drag that onto the adjustment layer.
- Then, search for Noise HLS Auto. It is under the Noise & Grain. Drag that onto the adjustment layer.
Note: Noise HLS Auto takes up a lot of processing power. You will probably need to RAM preview the footage in order to view it at native frame rates. Use Sequence->Render in to Out to accomplish this.
Execute The Effect:
- Now search for Posterize Time. It is under the Time folder. Drag that onto the adjustment layer.
- Open up the Effect Controls Panel for the adjustment layer and find Unsharp Mask. Bring up the Amount to about 500.
- Under Unsharp Mask also bring the Radius up to about 9-10.
- Also search for Color Balance (HLS) in the Effect Controls Panel and bring the Saturation down to about -60.
- Additionally, look for Noise HLS Auto in the Effect Controls Panel and bring the Lightness up to about 35%. (Feel free to adjust the Hue and the Saturation as well in this affect to customize the effect)
- Click on the Noise dropdown and select Squared.
- Finally, search for Posterize Time in the Effect Controls Panel and bring the Frame Rate down to about half of the native frame rate (So 15 for 30fps footage or 12 for 24fps footage).
Playing back the footage you should now see it has a more intense rock/rap music video filter on it. However, if you need to increase or decrease the effect feel free to adjust the Unsharp Mask or Noise HLS Auto to get the desired intensity.
If you have any questions, let me know in the comments, or on the video itself!